Learn about the process of exporting a general ledger file from Xero.
- You will need access as an Advisor to your client's Xero account.
- The following guide was created using the AUS version of Xero. However, the same steps should apply to other versions of Xero.
- Xero will output the exports into a tab delimited text file.
- Tab delimited text files can be imported into MindBridge as is; however, if you would like to view your text export in Excel, please see our article: Converting Text Files (delimited or fixed width) to Excel or refer to our short import guide below.
- Alternatively, our Xero Integration can be used.
Watch the following video on how to extract data or read the steps outlined below.
- Click the Accounting drop-down menu and then click Advanced.
- Click Export Accounting Data.
- Select Caseware under the General Ledger section (this is the only export format that provides a Journal ID, which corresponds with the Transaction ID within MindBridge).
- Select the date range for your General Ledger Activity. If you're auditing the year ended 31 December 2020 for example, you will want the following document: GL from 1 January 2020 to 31 December 2020.
- Download your general ledger (GL) file.
- The resulting text file export should be in a format similar to the following:
Importing delimited text files into Excel
- Open Excel and choose to open a document directly from Excel. You might need to select to display text files or all files *.*
- You will be taken to the Text Import Wizard
- In Step 1 of 3: Choose "Delimited"
- In Step 2 of 3: Choose "Tab"
- In Step 3 of 3: The "JournalDate" column should be imported as "Date" with DMY as the format. The various amount columns should be imported as "General". All other columns should be imported as "Text" to prevent unintended data type conversions by Excel.
- The resulting Excel import should be in a format similar to the following:
Next step: Xero: Transform the general ledger
What do you think of this guide? If you have any feedback, or you think you can help us improve it, then we would love to hear from you! Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are offering rewards for any information that leads to the improvement of a guide or the creation of a new one.