Learn about the process of exporting a General Ledger file from Xero using the Advisor user role.
To export the General Ledger you need the Advisor user role, which exposes the Adviser tab.
Note: The below guide was created using the UK version of Xero. However, it should still be a valuable reference article for other versions of Xero.
Follow steps below to export GL data in CSV or XLS format from Xero:
Note: We also support text (.TXT) files, and Tab Separated Files (.TSV) - as long they're properly delimited. Common delimiters are comma ( , ), pipe ( | ), tab ( ), and semicolon ( ; )
- In the Adviser menu, click Export.
- If prompted, add a "code to accounts" in your Chart of Accounts (COA). If you do not add a code, another accounting product will not import your data properly.
- Click "Caseware" to generate an additional field called Journal ID, which will be used as the Transaction ID within MindBridge.
- Select the date range of the data to export.
- Click Download. When finished, open or save the file.