Learn how to copy account and account description data into a new column in Excel.
In this example, we'll copy a file's Account Number and Account Description information that is contained in the same cell. We will then split this information into separate columns.
- Begin by creating an empty column to the left of the current account information.
- For all the rows containing data, use the formula below to copy the account information.
This formula states that if cell B6 contains text, then copy that cell. If B6 does not contain text, copy the above cell. This will allow account information to be copied until a new account is encountered.
- Copy the formula to the bottom of the file by selecting the cell containing the formula and using the Fill to Bottom function.
- Copy the account information column and paste as Values.
- Your data file will now look like the screenshot below, and it's ready to be saved.
Anything else on your mind?